Patrick's Rants

12/31/2005 2.0.1

Filed under: Geek News and Stuff,Reviews — site admin @ 10:52 am

I recently installed (oo from now on) version 2.0.1 on my Windows 98(don’t laugh, it’s paid for) machine. I was completely disappointed with the handling of .doc files. I couldn’t open them at all. I tried clicking on the file and oo would try to open and then fail with “unable to load converter”. I then tried to open the files in the file open dialog, still failed. Then, doing a google search on the error, I found similar issues which were worked around by setting the file type in the drop down selector. Still no good – and this work around previously worked in oo 2.0.
I got so mad I uninstalled oo 2.0.1, rebooted the computer like it wanted and re-installed oo 2.0. This time I just selected “Install Everything” and lo and behold, I was able to click on a .doc file and it opened just fine. Then I remembered that I hadn’t selected the path that I wanted it installed in…. great it was in c:\program files\OpenOffice2.0\. I hate stuff in that directory…well in the C:\program files\ directory anyway. Uninstalled oo2.0. I then decided to try 2.0.1 again and install to a new directory on the d:\ drive. It previously was in an old directory where I had 1.5 installed. Supposedly installing 2.0 over the top of 1.5 should have worked. It even seemed like it had – except that nasty .doc bug. oo 2.0 runs some conversion scripts when installed over the top that is supposed to make things work right. What I found is for the best results uninstall the previous version and install oo 2.0 (or the current oo 2.0.1) in a new directory. I wanted to preserve all of my data settings, but oo 2.0 (windows) changes everything related to databases – all the saved queries, all the database connections, everything except the names of the databases in the data sources browser.
So the final fix: Uninstall all oo versions. Install 2.0 or greater in a completely new directory, rewrite all of your brilliant database queries. Try not to get too mad at all the new “wizards” that the oo team has created to make things “easier” for you (assuming you learned how to just git r done using the older oo versions)


  1. Patrick,
    I work in IT and I tried installing 2.0.1 today. I have tried several things including reinstalling 1.9
    and then uninstalling. No matter what I try I get the following error:

    Product: 2.0 — Error 1324.The path Program Files contains an invalid character.

    Any ideas?


    Comment by Mike — 1/17/2006 @ 5:18 pm

  2. Erm…. goofy thought, have you tried in a different path? Unixy type systems (that OO is developed on) the space is an issue. I can’t say for sure that this is the issue… I put it in d:\programs\OO so wouldn’t run into this if it were.

    Comment by site admin — 1/17/2006 @ 5:41 pm

  3. I tried several different paths and it wouldn’t install. I finally used ORCA (Microsoft’s MSI editing tool) and fixed it. My coworker had created a tranform (in the Microsoft Custom Installation Wizard) and I used the transform to repair the OO MSI. It then installed flawlessly. By the way, OO is fully deployable through AD Group Policy.

    Comment by Mike — 1/25/2006 @ 8:54 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.